James Weldon Johnson Houses (often shortened to Johnson Houses) is a New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) public housing development in East Harlem (Spanish Harlem), Manhattan.1
It is a classic example of early postwar “tower-in-the-park” modernist public housing.
Naming
The development is named after James Weldon Johnson (1871–1938), a prominent African American poet, author, educator, diplomat, and civil rights leader. He served as a key figure at the NAACP (1916–1930 as policymaker and later executive director) and is best known as the lyricist of “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” widely regarded as the Black national anthem.1
Location and Site History
The complex occupies roughly 12 acres, bounded by East 112th and East 115th Streets, and Park and Third Avenues (with buildings addressed along Lexington Avenue). It replaced densely packed tenement buildings and pushcart-market areas that existed in the mid-1940s. Site clearance and planning occurred around 1946, with the project replacing substandard housing in the neighborhood.2
Construction and Opening
Construction took place in the late 1940s. The development was completed and opened on December 27, 1948. NYCHA’s official data lists the occupancy completion date as December 27, 1948.3
The project was one of the earlier high-rise NYCHA developments in East Harlem, part of a broader wave of public housing construction that transformed the area (alongside projects like Thomas Jefferson Houses).4
Physical Description
It consists of 10 brick buildings, each 14 stories tall, containing approximately 1,299–1,308 apartments.5
The buildings feature the open green space, lawns, and tree cover typical of the “tower in the park” design. Current and historical resident numbers have been reported around 2,200–3,000 depending on the source and era.
Community Programs and Early Years
From the outset, the project emphasized community services. In 1948, NYCHA partnered with the East Harlem Council for Community Planning and local organizations (including Union Settlement and Casita Maria) to provide social services, recreation, and a community center. This collaboration led to the creation of the James Weldon Johnson Community Centers, Inc. A “Headworkers’ Council” of local agencies supported programming alongside the housing opening.6
The Johnson Houses Residents Association has been active for decades, representing tenants and advocating for improvements. Longtime community leader Ethel Velez (or Ethel Battle Velez) was closely involved for nearly 40 years; a community space was later named in her honor.
Later History
Like many NYCHA properties, Johnson Houses has undergone routine maintenance, capital improvements (such as boiler and heating system upgrades), security enhancements, and periodic challenges common to large public housing complexes. It celebrated its 60th anniversary on December 27, 2008. The development remains part of the East Harlem cluster of NYCHA campuses.
Primary sources for further research include:
- NYC Municipal Archives records on the project (1946–1949).
- New York Public Library’s James Weldon Johnson Community Centers, Inc. records.
- NYCHA’s Development Data Book and journals.
Recent news coverage has focused on law-enforcement actions related to narcotics activity in and around the development, but these are outside the core historical scope of its founding and design.7
This summary draws from NYCHA documents, municipal archives descriptions, contemporary accounts, and property records. If you would like details on architecture, specific resident stories, photos from the 1940s, recent redevelopment plans, or a deeper look at any particular era, let me know!
The James Weldon Johnson Houses is a public housing development in the East Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan, managed by the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA).123 Spanning 11.89 acres, the complex consists of 10 buildings (some sources count 17 interconnected sections) ranging from 6 to 14 stories.
Its history is a significant chapter in New York City’s mid-20th-century urban renewal, representing both the architectural “towers-in-the-park” movement and the cultural evolution of East Harlem into El Barrio.
- Origins and Construction (1940s)
- Post-War Development: Part of a massive push for public housing following World War II, the Johnson Houses were commissioned under the “Post War Works” program spearheaded by Robert Moses. Construction began in 1947, and the development officially opened in 1948.
- Architecture: The buildings were designed by the architectural firm of Julian Whittlesey, Harry M. Prince, and Robert J. Reiley, with landscape architecture by Wiley & Recknagel. They followed the “cruciform” or cross-shaped tower design common to that era, intended to maximize “light and air” for residents.
- Urban Renewal Context: The project was part of a series of “super-block” developments that replaced 19th-century tenements. It was built between East 112th and East 115th Streets, from Third Avenue to Park Avenue.
- The Namesake: James Weldon Johnson
The complex is named after James Weldon Johnson (1871–1938), a titan of the Harlem Renaissance.678
- Historical Significance: Johnson was a poet, diplomat, and lawyer who served as the Executive Secretary of the NAACP from 1920 to 1930.9
- Naming Precedent: The Johnson Houses were the first NYCHA development officially named after a prominent Black American. Previously, NYCHA had avoided such names to prevent “racial coding” of developments, but community pressure led to this landmark tribute.
- “The Black National Anthem”: Johnson is best known as the lyricist of “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” a song that remains a cornerstone of African American identity.678
- Demographic Shift: While originally intended to be integrated, the development’s demographics shifted alongside East Harlem’s transition from a predominantly Italian and Jewish enclave to the heart of the Puerto Rican community (El Barrio). By the late 1940s, it already had a significant Puerto Rican (approx. 25%) and African American population.
- Social Services: In 1948, the James Weldon Johnson Community Center was established. It became a pioneer in urban social work, offering some of the city’s first Head Start programs, youth vocational training, and drug prevention initiatives.
- East Harlem Plaza: In 1959, architect Albert Mayer designed a pedestrian promenade and plaza within the development. For decades, it served as a vital community space for outdoor concerts, dance performances, and neighborhood rallies.
- Modern Era and Resident Advocacy
- Resident Leadership: The Johnson Houses Residents Association has a long history of activism.1 For nearly 40 years, leaders like Ethel Battle Velez have advocated for better maintenance and preserved the development’s community spirit in the face of systemic disinvestment.
- Current Challenges: Like many NYCHA properties, the Johnson Houses today face aging infrastructure, particularly regarding boilers and elevators. In recent years, the development has been at the center of discussions regarding “NYCHA 2.0,” including the potential transfer of “air rights” (unused development space) to fund critical repairs.
- Modernization: A new James Weldon Johnson Community and Children’s Center (designed by Locascio Architect) was recently built to replace older social service facilities, continuing the legacy of on-site support for residents.
Summary Stats (Official NYCHA)
- Buildings: 1011
- Apartments: 1,310 (authorized residents: approx. 3,000)11
- Borough: Manhattan (Community District 11)124
- Completed: 1948